Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Review: Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Book: Opal (Book #3 in the Lux Series)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Pages: 394

After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.

Together we’re stronger... and they know it.


4/5 stars 

Non spoilery review:

Okay first off, if you have not read Obsidian or Onyx this kind of going to have spoilers for them, since it's the third book. So you should totally read those and then you can come back. 'Kay? Good.

DEFINITELY the best book in the series so far! I loved this book from start to finish, it was so amazing! It managed to tie up some loose ends from Onyx and answer some of my questions but at the same time it opened up so many more.

As always, the characters are amazing, but if you've read Obsidian and Onyx then I really don't need to tell you that.

What I really liked about this book was how quickly the plat moved along. In Onyx, it didn't really seem like much was happening and sometimes I would get pretty bored or frustrated with it, but I had the opposite problem with Opal. In Opal, I never wanted to put it down because yet another exciting scene was about to happen and they never failed to deliver.

Overall, I absolutely adored the book and 100% recommend it to anyone who has read the first two books. :)

I think that's about all I can say for a non spoilery review, but let me warn you, if you are reading the new versions of the books where opal and origin are in one physical copy, DO NOT READ THE BACK COVER! If you read Origin's synopsis you will be HUGELY spoiled! So don't do it! Don't! (I did, and out of personal experience, I can tell you it definitely sucks.)

____________________________________________________

Spoilery Review:

I don't really know where to even start, so let's just go with Blake. First, WHAT THE FUCK?! Second, kinda saw that coming, and third, WHAT THE FUCK?! I always hated Blake, but why would you secretly sleep with someone who hates you 'cause you killed their friend? He needs to get a life. I swear if they get back together or something, I will puke.

That Carissa scene was intense! I kind of figured something was up when she got sick, but definitely wasn't expecting fireballs and spontaneous human combustion. Really loving the badass fighting Katy we keep seeing. More please!

Speaking of the new kickass side to Katy, what's up with all these suggestions that she's going dark side? There was the jealousy first, then the cheerleader on the stairs incident, and the whole killing Will thing. She just seems to be unable to control her anger anymore, which I think is probably from her mutation. Is she now unable to control all of this new found power? My guess is it's too much for her body to handle and now it's making her unstable. Though I'd really rather prefer she didn't suddenly implode.

A major part of this book was them building up a tolerance to the onyx, but shouldn't Dawson already have a tolerance for it? If it's true that he was touching it all the time just like Blake, then why is he still affected? And for that matter, why isn't it at least a little less effective on Katy? I mean, they held it a couple times a day for less then a minute each time, but Katy had her hands encased in onyx for hours, so if their little bits of training made them less susceptible, then why was Katy still super affected by it? And if they develop a tolerance for onyx over time, then why does Daedalus always use it for torture? Wouldn't it just get easier as time passed? I don't know, maybe these will be answered later on in the series.

My major problem with this book though was actually pretty minor. Why did she wear the opal as a necklace?!! Necklaces are made to be seen! This is a secret! Like, seriously girl, it just has to be touching your skin somehow, so why not just stuff it in your bra, tuck it into your sock, anywhere besides right out in the freaking open! Come on!

I'm so glad Dee and Katy are friends again. I knew they were eventually going to get back together, but it just killed me seeing her so upset. Though I was a bit confused as to what made her come around... It sort of seemed like one day she was horribly distraught as usual and the next day it's all smiles and prom dresses. But no matter what, I'm glad they're back.

Prom was probably the best scene of the book. It was good to have everything set straight after that infuriating homecoming in Obsidian. And ohmygosh that after prom woods scene. Just go ahead and add that to the list of reasons why Daemon Black is a gift to humanity, fictional or not.

This is getting to be pretty long, so let me tie this up with predictions for Origin and Opposition. Personally, I'm convinced that Matthew is going to die. I didn't think so until Katy made a comment at one point saying that he was the glue that held them together. Nooooo, why would you do that? By saying he was important, you just condemned him to die! Or maybe I've just been reading way too many depressing books and am paranoid. Who knows.

I am curious to see where this series is leading. Like, what's going to be the big climax in Opposition? Will the Luxen team up to fight the DOD? Is it a reunion between Katy and Daemon? Where is this whole hybrid thing going? I really have no clue how this series is going to turn out and that just makes me all the more excited.

Happy reading!
~Kera

No comments:

Post a Comment